Social workers can help you, your family and carer with emotional and practical issues that may arise because of illness, injury or admission to hospital.
We provide a range of specialised services to support you and your family during your hospital stay. This includes:
- crisis counselling and immediate responses for sudden death, critical incidents, family and domestic violence, elder abuse, sexual assault and child protection concerns
- counselling and practical assistance while in hospital such as information about community support agencies
- discharge coordination support for patients with complex needs and/or capacity concerns
- facilitating family meetings and mediating conflict
- grief, loss and bereavement care for families at the time of a death, bad news or diagnosis
- guidance around medico-legal issues (i.e. Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, advance care planning, enduring power of attorney and advance health directive)
- assessment of patient and family needs and supporting them around these issues and concerns.
Social workers are available to support with:
- family and domestic violence
- frail aged and carer stress
- elder abuse concerns
- child protection matters
- parenting and family stress
- homelessness and neglect
- advance care planning
- sudden death and trauma support.
How to access this service
If you or your family member are in hospital, you can ask one of the ward staff to contact a social worker for you.
No external referrals are accepted for this service. If you are not an inpatient but need support, please speak with your GP. A social worker is only available on Monday and Wednesday of each week.
Location: 12 Kropp Street
KILCOY QLD 4515
Phone: (07) 5422 4411