Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
Our team assists you and your family with your journey to, during and after hospital.
When you’re admitted to the hospital you will be asked if you identify as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander person. If you do, our Indigenous Hospital Liaison Officer may visit you during your stay to provide cultural support to you and your family, and will help explain the hospital and your treatment if you are unsure.
We support you and your family in a number of ways:
- bedside visits to explain the hospital system
- support and advocate your needs when speaking to hospital staff about important matters
- provide language translation services
- ensure you are aware of the different types of services available to you at the hospital
- help you stay up to date with your treatments to achieve the best health outcomes in the long term
- transportation support (if you are eligible).
How to access this service
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can get support by contacting our team. Service providers can also refer a person using the contact details below.
Community care (acute and primary care)
Phone: 1300 658 252
Fax: (07) 3360 4822
Phone: (07) 3492 1804
Indigenous Hospital Liaison
Phone: (07) 5433 8249
Mobile: 0438 518 912
Team Leader: 0439 082 908
Open: Monday-Friday, 8.00am-4.30pm
Phone: (07) 5433 8249 or
0438 518 912
Open: Monday- Friday 8.00am-4.30pm