Geriatric Evaluation and Management Service (GEMS)
We provide specialised care to older people with chronic or complex conditions relating to ageing, disability and cognitive problems. We aim to help patients improve their mobility, balance and function to live as independently as possible.
Our healthcare team consists of specialist doctors, nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, dietitians, social workers, psychologists and speech pathologists. Our services include:
- cognitive and functional assessment
- restorative care assessment
- comprehensive geriatric assessment
- geriatric rehabilitation
- dementia diagnosis and management
- home visits to facilitate discharge planning.
How to access this service
No external referrals are accepted for this service. You can only access this service when you are staying in hospital or if you have been referred by a hospital clinician. The Geriatric Evaluation and Management (GEM) unit provides slow-stream rehabilitation following an acute admission. Patients can return to the Caboolture Hospital GEM Service from other hospitals if they live in the Caboolture catchment.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Level 4, Caboolture Hospital
Phone: (07) 5433 8836
Fax: (07) 5433 8834
Visiting hours: 8.30am-5.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.