Community Care Unit
The Community Care Unit (CCU) provide services to people over the age of 18 who would benefit from 24-hour residential care for a serious mental disorder and/or severe mental health problems.
We help people with their persistent symptoms that substantially impair their psychosocial function and their capacity for independent living. Our consumers have, or are likely to have, difficulty functioning within their community and accessing other services for support. Services include:
- helping consumers to learn or re-learn the skills they need to live independently
- supporting consumers to increase their capacity and confidence to function within the community
- operating within a recovery focussed framework and actively encouraging consumer and/or carer involvement
- facilitating living skills development in a community residential facility setting over a medium to long term time frame
- engaging consumers to develop sustainable relationships with family/carers or other supports to enable meaningful participation in their own community
- working closely with non-government organisations (NGOs) who are also part of our consumers journey into independent living.
How to access this service
Admission to the CCU is for existing consumers of the service and is arranged following case discussion with your treating team.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Recovery goals and plan
- Medications you are currently taking, including any that you have bought without a prescription and herbal medicine
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Glasses, hearing aid, walking frame
Frequently asked questions
The average time that people spend in the CCU is about 9 months. However, some people will stay less and others longer. Ask your doctor when you can expect to be discharged.
Smoking is not permitted in or within 5 metres of any Queensland Health hospital. You will have free nicotine replacement therapy available to you during your stay. People are not permitted to smoke on the CCU campus.
Yes, family are welcome to visit the CCU. We encourage visitors after 4.00pm, so our consumers can engage with the programme. We understand that this might not always suit you and we can be flexible with visiting hours. Please contact us to arrange a visit. We ask that all visitors sign in at reception and sign out when they leave.
Community Care Unit
Location: 80 George Street, Kippa Ring
Phone: (07) 3897 6493
Fax: (07) 3897 6497
Visiting hours: Daily 11.00am-8.00pm
Need help outside hours?
Call 1300 MH Call (1300 64 22 55).
In the case of an emergency call 000.