We assess and treat adults and children with swallowing and communication problems.
Inpatient services include:
- dysphagia (feeding/swallowing) assessments and management
- education on safe feeding/swallowing strategies
- assessment and therapy of communication impairments (speech and language impairments)
- education on strategies to improve communication
- paediatric feeding/swallowing assessments and management
Outpatient services include:
- paediatric assessment, education and management of feeding/swallowing and communication difficulties
- multi-disciplinary paediatric feeding clinic (speech pathologist, occupational therapist, dietitian)
- adult Videofluoroscopic Swallow Study (VFSS) Clinic
How to access this service
Inpatient referrals are made by doctors, nurses and other health professionals, as indicated. Please contact the Speech Pathology Department if you have any questions about our services or referral processes.
To access the outpatient Paediatric Service (including the feeding clinic), the referral must come from a Redcliffe Hospital paediatrician. If the referral is eligible and accepted, you will be contacted when an appointment is available.
To access the outpatient Videofluroscopic Swallow Study Service, the referral must come through your treating speech pathologist in the community. The referral will also require a medical imaging form signed by your GP or specialist. Please discuss this with your speech pathologist.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, Redcliffe Hospital
Phone: (07) 3049 6880
Fax: (07) 3883 7373
Open: Monday-Friday, 08:00am-4:30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938