We provide expert care and advice to patients and carers on all aspects of stoma and fistula management.
Patients can access a range of services, including:
- pre-operative education and support for those about to have surgery (that may require a stoma to be formed)
- post-operative education and support for patients and/or carers who have had surgery resulting in a stoma formation
- education for patients and their carers
- information for community health professionals in preparation for a patient’s discharge
- connect patients with stoma associations in order to access supplies
- outpatient support for Redcliffe Hospital stoma patients
- support for patients who have long-term fistulae.
How to access this service
This service accepts inpatient referrals only.
Patients who have had a stoma formed at another facility will only be seen by Redcliffe Hospital Stomal Therapists after a referral from their General Practitioner or previous surgeon has been accepted by the Director of Surgery at Redcliffe Hospital.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Wound and Stomal Therapy Department
Location: Level 5, Redcliffe Hospital
Phone: (07) 3883 7633
Fax: (07) 3883 7954
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-3.30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Central Referral Unit referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938