We provide treatment and support to people who have suffered a stroke.
- inpatient care in the Acute Stroke Unit
- outpatient clinics
- specialist stroke care and rehabilitation
- early intervention and management
- thrombolysis therapy for eligible patients
- referral to StrokeConnect, a free follow up service by the Stroke Foundation
- registration with the Australian Stroke Clinical Registry
- early family/carer education and involvement in stroke recovery processes.
Our team of health professionals consists of doctors, a stroke coordinator, nursing staff and allied health professionals.
How to access this service
GP or medical practitioner referral
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
You can also access this service when you are staying in hospital if you have been referred by a hospital clinician.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Level 4, East Wing, Redcliffe Hospital
Phone: (07) 3883 7361
Fax: (07) 3883 7221
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Neurology referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938