Prior to your hospital admission you may have a pre-admission appointment, which is usually 1–6 weeks before your procedure. At this time your health professional will complete a thorough health assessment and provide information and support about your procedure. This may take place in person or over the phone.
You will be given information about how to prepare and what to expect before and after your operation/procedure. You’re welcome to ask any questions or clarify any uncertainties. Before attending your pre-admission clinic appointment you will need to fill out the adult integrated pre-procedure screening tool.
You may require a separate anaesthetic clinic appointment 2-3 weeks before your surgery or procedure.
Our Day Procedure Unit (DPU) provides a day service to patients with a wide range of surgical, medical and diagnostic needs. This is the admission point for most patients booked for surgery or other procedures on the day of admission.
Your visit to the pre-admission clinic may include:
- ECG (electrocardiogram)
- Physiotherapy education
- Assistance with arrangements for your care after discharge from the hospital
- Pain management education
- Physical examination
Please note, you do not need to fast for pre-admission tests.
How to access this service
Access to this service is arranged, along with your planned surgery or procedure, by the theatre bookings staff or by a specialist referral from an outpatient clinic.
What to bring
Each time you visit us
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Patient health care summary from your GP
- A snack and drink especially if you are diabetic or have small children with you
- A book or magazine to read.
|Preadmission clinic||Ground floor, Main Building||(07) 3883 7770|
Coming to hospital for surgery
Our day procedure unit (DPU) provides a day service to patients with a wide range of surgical, medical and diagnostic needs. This is the admission point for most patients booked for surgery or other procedures on the day of admission. Find out where to go and what to expect when you come in for day surgery at Redcliffe Hospital.
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, Redcliffe Hospital
Phone: (07) 3883 7770 or (07) 3883 7777
Fax: (07) 3883 7594
Open: Monday-Friday, 7.30am-5.00pm