Social workers can help you, your family and carer with emotional and practical issues that may arise because of illness, injury or admission to hospital.
We provide a range of specialised services to support you and your family in the Emergency Department or on the wards during your hospital stay. This includes:
- crisis counselling and immediate responses for sudden death, critical incidents, family and domestic violence, elder abuse, sexual assault and child protection concerns
- counselling and practical assistance while in hospital such as information about community support agencies
- discharge coordination support for patients with complex needs and/or capacity concerns
- facilitating family meetings and mediating conflict
- grief, loss and bereavement care for families at the time of a death, bad news or diagnosis
- guidance around medico-legal issues (i.e. Queensland Civil and Administrative Tribunal, advance care planning, enduring power of attorney and advance health directive)
- assessment of patient and family needs and supporting them around these issues and concerns.
Social workers are available to support with:
- family and domestic violence
- frail aged and carer stress
- elder abuse concerns
- child protection matters
- parenting and family stress
- homelessness and neglect
- advance care planning
- miscarriage and stillbirth support
- sudden death and trauma support.
How to access this service
Internal hospital referrals only
If you or your family member are hospitalised, you can ask one of the ward staff to contact a social worker for you. No external referrals are accepted for this service. If you are not an inpatient but need support, please speak with your GP.
Allied Health Department
Location: Ground floor, Caboolture Hospital
Phone: (07) 5433 8625
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.