The Kidney Health Service provides comprehensive kidney care, assessment, management of kidney disease and delivery of therapies including acute kidney care, dialysis, kidney transplantation and kidney supportive care.
Our team of doctors and nurses provide specialised care to patients at The Prince Charles Hospital and in the community. Patients needing more complex or extended kidney care may be transferred to other sites to access programs available in the MNHHS Kidney Health Service.
We offer a comprehensive service including:
- general kidney outpatient community clinics
- outpatient consultations in the subspecialties of chronic kidney disease, diabetic kidney disease, dialysis, kidney supportive care, renal genetics, transplantation and vasculitis
- telemedicine delivery of care
- specialised inpatient care and consultations
- preparation of patients for kidney transplantation and post-transplant care
- training for independent haemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis
- independent dialysis, including home based dialysis, supported by an ambulatory care team
- dependent chronic centre based haemodialysis
- transition to end of kidney life.
How to access this service
No external referrals are accepted for this service. You can only access this service when you are staying in hospital or if you have been referred by a clinician from The Prince Charles Hospital.
What to bring
Each time you visit us
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
For an outpatient or clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3646 8573
Fax: (07) 3646 8572
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient, view the Renal Services referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938