(stomach and bowel)
We provide care and treatment for people with gastrointestinal (gut) and liver conditions including:
- general gastrointestinal diseases
- Crohn’s disease and ulcerative colitis (inflammatory bowel diseases)
- irritable bowel syndrome (non-inflammatory conditions of the gut)
- disorders of the pancreas and bile ducts
- nutritional deficiencies.
We offer a wide range of services including:
- care for critically ill patients needing hospital treatment
- outpatient clinics
- gastroscopy and related procedures (for investigation, diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the digestive system and the bile ducts)
- colonoscopy (for investigation diagnosis and treatment of disorders affecting the large bowel).
We work closely with the Gastroenterology services at the 3 large hospitals within Metro North Hospital and Health Service (Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital, The Prince Charles Hospital and Redcliffe Hospital). When necessary, patients may be transferred to these facilities.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Specialist Outpatient Department
Location: Ground floor, Caboolture Hospital
Phone: (07) 5433 8474
Open: Monday-Friday 8.30am-4.30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Gastroenterology referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938