Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all conditions for outpatient services and does not exclude consideration for referral unless specifically stipulated in the out of scope section.
Referrals for children and young people should follow the Children’s Health Queensland referral guidelines.
Emergency department referrals
All urgent cases must be discussed with the on call Gastroenterology Registrar to obtain appropriate prioritisation and treatment. Contact through
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (07) 3646 8111
- The Prince Charles Hospital (07) 3139 4000
- Redcliffe Hospital (07) 3883 7777
- Caboolture Hospital (07) 5433 8888
Urgent cases accepted via phone must be accompanied with a written referral and a copy faxed immediately to the Central Patient Intake Unit: 1300 364 952.
If any of the following are present or suspected arrange immediate transfer to the emergency department.
- Potentially life threatening symptoms suggestive of:
- acute upper GI tract bleeding
- acute severe lower GI tract bleeding
- oesophageal foreign bodies/food bolus
- acute severe colitis*
- bowel obstruction
- abdominal sepsis
- Severe vomiting and/or diarrhoea with dehydration
- Acute/fulminant liver failure (to be referred to a centre with dedicated hepatology services)
- Biliary sepsis (to be referred to a centre with ERCP service)
*Acute severe colitis as defined by the Truelove and Witts criteria – all patients with ≥ 6 bloody bowel motions per 24 hours plus at least one of the following:
- temperature at presentation of > 37.8°C
- pulse rate at presentation of > 90 bpm
- haemoglobin at presentation of < 105 gm/l, CRP >30mg/dl at presentation (or ESR > 30 mm/hr)
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public Gastroenterology outpatient service.
- Screening colonoscopy in asymptomatic patients outside of the NHMRC guidelines
NB: If a patient who has been fully investigated 2 years prior to referral. Then the referrer and the receiving clinician will need to exercise clinical decision making in triaging and or value in repeat endoscopy / colonoscopy procedures.
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Fax: 1300 364 952
Electronic: eReferral system templates
Medical Objects ID: MQ40290004P
HealthLink EDI: qldmnhhs
Mail: Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways: