Digital fluoroscopy uses x-ray images to produce a digital moving picture sequence that can be viewed by the radiologist on a monitor. To enhance these moving pictures you may be required to drink fluid to assist in a diagnosis.
We offer a full range of fluoroscopy procedures.
How to prepare for your test
Individual preparations will depend on your specific examination or procedure type. Some preparations may need you to start days before the procedure. Instructions will be sent out to you in the mail prior to your appointment date.
What happens during the procedure?
Medical imaging staff will confirm your details and explain the examination. You will then enter the fluoroscopy room and a medical imaging staff member will position you as required on the table. A contrast type solution like barium may be used during the examination to enhance the images. You may be asked to move into a number of different positions as various images are taken.
What happens after the procedure?
You can eat and drink normally after your scan is finished. Your results will be sent to your doctor.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Level 3 Ned Hanlon Building
Phone: (07) 3646 3076
Open: Monday-Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, please complete a Medical Imaging referral form.
All fluoroscopy procedures including:
- Gastro-intestinal studies, Barium / Single Contrast Enemas, Swallows, Meals, Follow throughs, Small Bowel Studies
- Urinary System studies (cystograms, urethrograms, urodynamic studies)
- PICC Lines
- Modified Barium Swallows with Speech Therapists
The Digital Fluoroscopy room also serves as backup for the angiography suites.