Nutrition and Dietetics
(nutrition, food and diet support)
We help you manage a healthy diet during your hospital stay and when you leave. We work with other services across the hospital to make sure your eating plan matches your health care needs.
The Nutrition and Dietetics Department provides a range of services including:
- nutritional screening, assessments and intervention for a variety of conditions
- nutritional supplements and tube feeding
- Home Enteral Nutrition Service
- General Outpatients Clinic
- Allergy and Gastroenterology Clinic
- Healthy Eating and Lifestyles Program
- education programs to patients, hospital staff and community groups
- support and advice to health professionals in regional areas.
Our team of dietitians also provide clinical services to the following outpatient areas at the hospital:
- Surgical Weight Management
We also provide specialised dietetic services to clinics offsite including:
- renal clinics at Nundah, North Lakes, Redcliffe and Stafford
- Healthy Eating and Lifestyles Program at North Lakes
- Mental Health Healthy Living Group at Mental Illness Fellowship of Queensland.
We work closely with our Food Service team to make sure you are provided with suitable meals during your hospital stay. Find out more about meal options when in hospital.
How to access this service
No external referrals are accepted. You will need an internal referral from a RBWH clinician to access our outpatient services. You can access the inpatient service when you are staying in hospital.
Wait times will vary at our outpatient clinics with urgent appointments seen as soon as possible. Any specific preparation for your appointment will be outlined in your appointment letter.
We do not accept self-referrals without support from a health professional or individual weight loss referral. Patients requiring individual weight loss advice should seek weight loss services in the community or call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) to access the Get Health Information and Coaching Service.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Level 2, Dr James Mayne Building
Phone: (07) 3646 8268
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.