Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Our Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Department provides emergency and elective surgery to repair or restore parts of the body.
Our experienced specialists provide the following services:
- skin cancer management
- facial trauma
- head and neck cancer and reconstructive surgery
- hand Surgery
- lower limb trauma
- breast reconstruction for malignancy or developmental deformity
- burn surgery (in conjunction with the Burns Unit)
- perineal reconstruction.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Specialist Outpatient Clinic
Location: Level 1, James Mayne Building
Phone: 3646 6738
Plastics Breast Clinic
Location: Level 8, Ned Hanlon Building
Phone: 3647 0097
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient, view the Plastic Surgery referral guideline
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938
Plastics and reconstructive surgery is a tertiary service to most of Queensland for both elective and emergency patients. A full range of general plastic and reconstructive surgery inpatient and outpatient services is offered including:
- tissue damage and repair
- treatment of major tissue loss (often associated with orthopaedic injuries)
- hand surgery including replantation
- microsurgical free flaps (muscle and myocutaneous)
- facial injuries
- intraoral and head and neck cancers
- reconstructive breast surgery
- some aesthetic plastic surgery.