Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery
Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all conditions for outpatient services and does not exclude consideration for referral unless specifically stipulated in the out of scope section.
Referrals for children and young people should follow the Children’s Health Queensland referral guidelines.
Emergency department referrals
All urgent cases must be discussed with the on call Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery Registrar. Contact through Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (07) 3646 8111 to obtain appropriate prioritisation and treatment.
Urgent cases accepted via phone must be accompanied with a written referral and a copy faxed immediately to the Central Patient Intake Unit: 1300 364 952.
If any of the following are present or suspected arrange immediate transfer to the emergency department.
- Hand fractures (open or closed)
- Acute fingertip injuries
- Tendon Injuries
- Airway compromise
- Uncontrolled sepsis including hand infections
- Threat to limb viability
- Acute burns
- Lacerations and wounds not suitable for primary health management e.g. lip lacerations, large facial lacerations, lacerations with altered sensation, large skin deficits.
- Complex facial fractures
- Compound fractures
- Acute development of peripheral nerve compression symptoms following trauma or acute event
- Uncontrolled bleeding
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery service.
- Redundant tissue, excision (anywhere)
- Minor or asymptomatic scarring
- Asymptomatic benign lesions
- Cosmetic rhinoplasty
- Cosmetic labioplasty
- Tattoo removal
- Cosmetic augmentation mammoplasty
- Gynaecomastia in the context of obesity where the breast size is proportionate to the body habitus
- Replacement of breast implants
- Small volume breast reductions done for re-shaping
- Revisions after cosmetic surgery
- Gender reassignment surgery
Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital
Level 1, James Mayne Building
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Medical Objects ID: MQ40290004P
HealthLink EDI: qldmnhhs
Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways: