Please note this is not an exhaustive list of all conditions for outpatient services and does not exclude consideration for referral unless specifically stipulated in the CPC out of scope section.
Referrals for children and young people should follow the Children’s Health Queensland referral guidelines.
Emergency department referrals
All urgent cases must be discussed with the on call Surgical Registrar to obtain appropriate prioritisation and treatment. Contact through:
- Royal Brisbane and Women's Hospital (07) 3646 8111
- The Prince Charles Hospital (07) 3139 4000
- Redcliffe Hospital (07) 3883 7777
- Caboolture Hospital (07) 5433 8888
Urgent cases accepted via phone must be accompanied with a written referral and a copy faxed immediately to the Central Patient Intake Unit: 1300 364 952.
If any of the following are present or suspected, phone 000 to arrange immediate transfer to the emergency department or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
- Suspected strangulation/incarceration or obstruction of any hernia
- Acute, severe abdominal pain with or without associated sepsis
- New onset of obstructive jaundice
- Acute painful perianal conditions
- Acute cholecystitis
- Gallstones with symptoms of cholangitis
- Acute pancreatitis
- Bowel obstruction
- Severe per rectum bleeding
- Acute painful perianal conditions with intractable pain
- Perianal abscess
- Acute abscess at any site
- Bowel perforation
- Acute testicular pain
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public General Surgery service.
- Aesthetic or cosmetic surgery
- Abdominal lipectomy
- Breast reduction / augmentation
- Appearance medicine
- Reversal of vasectomy
- Primary bariatric surgery
Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital (RBWH)
Level 7, Ned Hanlon Building
The Prince Charles Hospital (TPCH)
Specialist Clinics, Ground floor
Level 1, Specialist Outpatient Department, Main Building
Building 23, Outpatient Services
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Medical Objects ID: MQ40290004P
HealthLink EDI: qldmnhhs
Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways: