Our Paediatric Service cares for and treats children for a wide range of medical conditions, from newborns up to the age of 16 years. We offer a family friendly, safe and supportive environment for children and their families.
We have a dedicated team of health professionals including doctors, nurses and healthcare professionals who are highly experienced in caring for sick children.
If your child suddenly becomes ill or has been seriously injured and needs urgent care please either call an ambulance via Triple Zero (000) or take your child to our Children’s Emergency at The Prince Charles Hospital.
Children’s Specialist Outpatient Clinics
Our services include:
- Allied Health (speech therapy, occupational therapy, dietetics, psychology and social work)
- Fracture Clinic (including soft tissue injury clinic)
How to access this service
Your child will need a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner outlining your medical concerns to access this service. Your doctor should send this referral to Central Patient Intake (CPI) Unit.
Once we receive the referral we will send you a letter either offering an appointment, letting you know your name has been placed on a waiting list, or advising alternative services. Please note if accepted your child will be allocated a category on the children’s outpatient wait list according to need, based on the information provided in the GP’s referral letter.
Our ward offers:
- 16 bed Paediatric – Medical , Surgical and Short Stay ward
- Sleeping facilities for parents and carers to stay overnight with their child
- Age appropriate furniture, decor and play areas
- Parent’s lounge
The Children’s Ward Information Sheet can tell you more about the ward including visiting hours and meals during your child’s stay.
How to access this service
You can access inpatient services through:
- Children’s Emergency Department or Outpatient Department at The Prince Charles Hospital
- An inter-hospital transfer.
What to bring
- Your child’s Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications your child is taking (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your child’s appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your child’s letter
- Any documents from school or previous GP or specialist appointments
- Your baby’s Red Book (Personal Child Health Record)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- Your child’s pyjamas, socks or comfortable day clothes and shoes
- Toiletries (nappies, toothpaste, toothbrush)
- A comfort item like a toy or blanket
- Books or favourite activity
- Your clothes and toiletries if you are staying overnight with your child
- Appropriate footwear
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your child’s care
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Meet our staff
|Sue Hobbins||Clinical Director Paediatric Services|
|Ben Beckwith||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Katie Dobinson||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Rose Fahy||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Lisa Gotley||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Suzanne Royle||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Dr Fred Nagel||Staff Specialist Paediatrician|
|Alison Burmeister||Speech Therapist|
|Amanda Francis||Occupational Therapist|
|Sally Twentyman||Social Worker|
Location: Building 6, Near CAM Unit, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 6612
Fax: (07) 3139 6614
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.30pm
Location: Ground floor, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 6470
Visiting hours: 8.00am-8.00pm (1 parent can stay overnight)
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Paediatrics referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938