Pulmonary Malignancy Service
The Pulmonary Malignancy Service cares for people with suspected or diagnosed lung and thoracic cancers.
We provide comprehensive specialist lung cancer services including:
- advanced diagnostic procedures
- Multi-disciplinary Team (MDT)-based care: multidisciplinary team assessment and treatment (medical, radiation and surgical oncology, palliative and supportive care) as part of Lung Foundation Australia’s Lung Cancer MDT Directory initiative
- rapid assessment clinic
- teleheath services
- psychosocial support
- one-stop shop evaluation for patients who have to travel.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital. Referrals will be categorised in order of clinical need. Please see your GP if your condition changes or a more urgent referral is needed.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment. For new referrals, please bring as many past x-rays or CT scans of your lungs as possible, and any results available.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing aids and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Phone: (07) 3139 6811
Fax: (07) 3139 4510
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Lung Cancer referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938
For very urgent referrals, please contact the on-call respiratory registrar at the hospital.
The Pulmonary Malignancy Service is a major tertiary referral centre in Queensland for patients with suspected or diagnosed cancers of the chest and lung. We are proud to offer multidisciplinary diagnostic and staging evaluation as well as onward referrals to appropriate treating specialists. Interventional pulmonology include:
- EBUS guide-sheath transbronchial biopsies for peripheral lesions
- EBUS TBNA for central lesions or nodes
- trans thoracic needle aspiration for peripheral lung lesions
- fine needle aspiration biopsies
- nodule assessment
- diagnostic and therapeutic thoracocentesis
- navigation bronchoscopy (lung point)
- electromagnetic navigation bronchoscopy
- referral for stents and pleural procedures
- argon plasma coagulation.