Metro North Palliative and Supportive Care Services covers the Brisbane Metropolitan area, the northern suburbs, Moreton Bay and the Redcliffe, Caboolture, Kilcoy and Bribie areas. Although we are in many locations, together we provide:
- Complex pain and symptom assessment, management and advice
- End of life care
- Psycho/social and spiritual support including liaison/referral to specialist mental health services, social work and pastoral care as required
- Support with Advance Care Planning, family meetings and complex discharge planning, enabling transition home wherever possible
- Referral to other Palliative Care Units and Community Palliative Care Services as required
- Liaison with General Practitioners and Domiciliary Nursing Agencies to optimise continuity of care
- Advice on bereavement support
- Equipment advice and provision for patients being nursed at home at the end of life
- Palliative care research and education
Community-based Care – Community staff with proficiency in complex symptom support, delivering supportive care in the patient’s home (or other preferred location), in ongoing liaison with the patient’s GP and linking with hospital teams for discharge planning, family meeting coordination, safe clinical handover and transfers of care.
Inpatient Palliative Care – in two dedicated palliative care units, one at Prince Charles Hospital and one at Redcliffe Hospital – both have 16 inpatient beds in dedicated buildings in the hospital grounds.
Inpatient Consult Liaison Support – visiting patients while inpatients in any acute or sub-acute ward, working with the patients’ medical, nursing and allied health teams.
Outpatient Palliative Care – provided in a dedicated palliative care clinic (hospital or other health location) or in joint appointments with the patient’s treating team. This includes Nurse Practitioner appointments.