Which services might I need?2019-06-21T12:03:59+10:00

Which services might I need?

Patients may require different clinical care at different times and from different teams – at home, in hospital, and in clinic (outpatients). For patients with the risk of complex symptoms, early referral to our specialist palliative care service enables us to accompany them through their treatment journey, optimising individualised planning to reduce their symptom burden, enhance quality of life and prevent or ease carer strain.

In hospital

If you are in hospital, your doctors will talk to you about involving Palliative and Supportive Care to help resolve or prevent difficult or distressing symptoms due to your condition or treatment. Our consult liaison service will work with you and your ward teams, providing expert advice and helping plan your care.

At home

If you are at home, your GP* can talk to us about help with managing or preventing difficult or distressing symptoms with the aim of helping you stay out of hospital. A doctor or nurse can visit you at home or see you at a local clinic. We will work with you and your GP and respect your choices for where you prefer to receive your care.

* It is best for us to have ongoing involvement from your GP

Staying in a PCU

If you need to go to a Palliative Care Unit – for help managing symptoms – we can plan an admission with you either from home or from a hospital. We can do this with very short notice if needed. The PCU is a ward dedicated to helping resolve your symptoms and support you and your family.

Our aim is to support you, your family and carers, at home whenever possible

Referral criteria

Any doctor can refer a patient to our service. it is ideal if patients have commenced advance care planning and if in hospital, that they have a current and appropriate Acute Resuscitation Plan (ARP).

How to refer

Our Services

Community Palliative Care

Phone: (07) 3049 1210

TPCH Palliative Care

Inpatient unit and ward-based consult liaison service.

Phone: (07) 3139 4482

Redcliffe Palliative Care

Inpatient unit and ward-based consult liaison service.

Phone: (07) 3883 7050

RBWH Palliative Care

Consult liaison service.

Phone: (07) 3646 6138

Caboolture Palliative Care

Phone: (07) 5429 4875

Back to top