Persistent Pain Service
The Professor Tess Cramond Multidisciplinary Pain Centre provides an assessment and management service for people with chronic pain and cancer pain.
We offer the following services to help you manage persistent pain:
- A specialised outpatient clinic.
- Individualised physiotherapy, psychology and occupational therapy assessment.
- Pain interventions.
- Pain education and pain management programs.
- An inpatient consultation service.
- Consultative service to referring medical practitioners.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- A support person to hear instructions, provide 24 hour support and to take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- Complete forms required for day admission
- Special dietary requirements
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Level 4, Dr James Mayne Building
Phone: (07) 3646 6141
Fax: (07) 3646 6142
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Pain Medicine referral guideline.
For an existing referral call 1300 364 938.
The Professor Tess Cramond Multidisciplinary Pain Centre is a tertiary facility, which is one of five other pain management centres servicing Queensland and northern New South Wales.
We offer a multidisciplinary approach to assessment and treatment, promoting self-management strategies to optimise other pain therapies.
Our programs include:
- CHANGES: a one day educational program about chronic pain for referred patients.
- LIFE (Living Independently Functioning Effectively): an eight week (two days each week) extended outpatient-based pain management program.
- Pain Rehabilitation: a two week program (Monday-Friday) for people who have persistent pain.
We provide the following support to health professionals:
- A telephone advisory service to medical practitioners and domiciliary nurses.
- Telephone advice to referring doctors.
- Ongoing pain management plan for the GP coordinating the patient’s care.
Our dedicated team consists of:
- a clinical nurse consultant
- nursing staff
- occupational therapists.
Our medical specialists are from a range of disciplines including:
- pain medicine
- rehabilitation medicine
- addiction medicine.