Persistent Pain Management
Emergency department referrals
The Persistent Pain Management Service for Metro North is based at the Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Service (STARS). For urgent referrals phone on call Persistent Pain Registrar via Royal Brisbane & Womens' Hospital switch - (07) 3646 8111
If any of the following are present or suspected, refer the patient to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
- Patients with acute pain and new neurological symptoms eg Cauda Equina Syndrome (CES)
- Patients requiring acute mental health services
- Concerns pertinent to any medical/surgical condition which raise the possibility of serious underlying disease (malignancy or infection) should be reviewed by the appropriate specialty either via emergency department or high priority outpatient appointment.
Persistent Pain Management Service
PPMS are for complex persistent pain patients who require a multidisciplinary approach for the management of their pain. PPMS expect patients to take an active role in learning self-management techniques and to have a general practitioner who remains central to the supervision of their care.
Please consider if the goal of referral to a PPMS is aligned with the treatment goals of persistent pain management. These are specifically to improve management of pain, improve function and improve quality of life overall. The approach is primarily a rehabilitative approach.
PPMS are not primarily diagnostic services.
All patients being referred to this service should:
- have persistent pain resulting in functional impairment from physical disability and/or psychosocial issues
- have persistent pain that has been thoroughly investigated; and
- have referrals accompanied by all relevant investigations and specialist reports
GP Persistent Pain advice line (Hotline)
During the COVID-19 pandemic, a GP Hotline has been established for medical advice and clinical questions regarding patients with persistent pain.
This is a GP to Pain Medicine Consultant service that is accessible via the RBWH Switch board (07) 3646 8111 between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Please prepare the required information prior to your call:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Significant history, co‑morbidities, and medications
- Presenting complaint, relevant examination findings
- Reason for enquiry
If you have an urgent request outside of these hours, please call the RBWH Switch board (07) 3646 8111 and ask to speak with the Persistent Pain Management Service on-call registrar or consultant.
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public Persistent Pain Management service.
- Patients who can be well managed in primary care (using appropriate guidelines where necessary).
- Previous Queensland Health Persistent Pain Management Service (PPMS) patients who have not followed management recommendations unless there are extenuating circumstances or new issues.
- Previous Queensland Health PPMS patients who have completed the pain management pathway / programs and for whom no new management approaches are available (within previous 12 months).
- Patients undergoing treatment from other specialist services for the same pain problem without mutual awareness / agreement of cross referral by both teams.
- Patients with untreated and unstable mental health conditions.
- Patients with a cognitive impairment of sufficient severity that would affect the ability to self-manage their condition unless they have a carer or primary care clinician that is willing and able to assist with pain management recommendations.
- Patients that have unstable, non-therapeutic drug dependence without concurrent treatment by a drug and alcohol specialist.
- Indefinite referrals are not accepted
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Fax: 1300 364 952
Electronic: eReferral system templates
Medical Objects ID: MQ40290004P
HealthLink EDI: qldmnhhs
Mail: Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways:
- Referral pathway tool: Which service to refer to?
- PPMS eReferral form
- Persistant pain referral forms and templates
- Entry Patient Questionaire
- Persistent Pain Management Guide for GPs
- General patient screening and referral guide
- Discharge Planning and Communication guide