Persistent Pain Management
Emergency department referrals
The Persistent Pain Management Service for Metro North is based at the Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Service (STARS). For urgent referrals
Phone on call Persistent Pain Registrar via
Royal Brisbane & Womens' Hospital switch - (07) 3646 8111
GP Persistent Pain advice line (Hotline)
During the COVID-19 pandemic, a GP Hotline has been established for medical advice and clinical questions regarding patients with persistent pain.
This is a GP to Pain Medicine Consultant service that is accessible via the RBWH Switch board (07) 3646 8111 between 9:00 am and 12:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Please prepare the required information prior to your call:
- Patient name and date of birth
- Significant history, co‑morbidities, and medications
- Presenting complaint, relevant examination findings
- Reason for enquiry
If you have an urgent request outside of these hours, please call the RBWH Switch board (07) 3646 8111 and ask to speak with the Persistent Pain Management Service on-call registrar or consultant.
Out of scope services
Not all services are funded in the Queensland public health system. The following are not routinely provided in a public Persistent Pain Management service.
- Patients who can be well managed in primary care (using appropriate guidelines where necessary).
- Previous Queensland Health Persistent Pain Management Service (PPMS) patients who have not followed management recommendations unless there are extenuating circumstances or new issues.
- Previous Queensland Health PPMS patients who have completed the pain management pathway / programs and for whom no new management approaches are available (within previous 12 months).
- Patients undergoing treatment from other specialist services for the same pain problem without mutual awareness / agreement of cross referral by both teams.
- Patients with untreated and unstable mental health conditions.
- Patients with a cognitive impairment of sufficient severity that would affect the ability to self-manage their condition unless they have a carer or primary care clinician that is willing and able to assist with pain management recommendations.
- Patients that have unstable, non-therapeutic drug dependence without concurrent treatment by a drug and alcohol specialist.
- Indefinite referrals are not accepted
Out of catchment
Metro North Health is responsible for providing public health services to the people who reside within its boundaries. Special consideration is made for patients requiring tertiary care or services that are not provided by their local Hospital and Health Service. If your patient lives outside the Metro North Health area and you wish to refer them to one of our services, inclusion of information regarding their particular medical and social factors will assist with the triaging of your referral.
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Fax: 1300 364 952
Electronic: eReferral system
Mail: Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways:
- Referral pathway tool: Which service to refer to?
- PPMS eReferral form
- Persistant pain referral forms and templates
- Entry Patient Questionaire
- Persistent Pain Management Guide for GPs
- General patient screening and referral guide
- Discharge Planning and Communication guide