Cognitive Assessment and Management Unit
We provide specialised support and care for patients experiencing memory and behavioural changes and cognitive impairment related to dementia.
Our aim is to provide a high level of respectful, individualised care for people experiencing behaviour changes with the dementia disease process.
We provide the following services:
- assessment of memory and cognitive decline
- management and coping strategies
- diagnosis and management of dementia and related behavioural disturbances
- functional assessment
- monitoring of medication and treatment plans
- facilitation of discharge to either home or an aged care facility
- education and links to community resources.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
You can also access this service if you have been referred internally by a clinician from The Prince Charles Hospital or the hospital’s outpatient department.
We also accept referrals from other hospitals within the Metro North Hospital and Health Service.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Building 6, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 5458
Fax: (07) 3139 5201
Visiting hours: 10.00am-6.00pm
Need help outside hours?
Call (07) 3139 5458 and we will be able to help you.
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Geriatric Medicine referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938