Early Assessment Medical Unit
The Early Assessment Medical Unit (EMU) cares for unwell patients for 24 hours a day. Patients will generally stay in the EMU for a maximum of 72 hours and either be discharged home with a range of services or transferred to another ward.
Our medical, nursing and allied health teams work closely to provide specialised care to patients with chronic or complex conditions. We have the following services:
- a gym where the physiotherapy team can initiate rehabilitation therapy for patients early in their admission
- a small kitchenette where our occupational therapists can carry out a range of functional assessments, including everyday tasks
- medical imaging (x-ray), pathology services and access to operating theatres
- specialist nurses to help patients with special requirements (e.g. Hospital in the Home, Geriatric and Rehabilitation Liaison Service).
How to access this service
You can only access this service if your GP refers you to the GP Rapid Access Consultant Expertise Unit (GRACE) or if you have been referred internally from the Emergency Department at The Prince Charles Hospital.
You will be transferred to the EMU if overnight admission is required after you have been assessed in the Rapid Access Medical and Surgical Unit (RAMS).
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Level 1, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 5321
Visiting hours: 10.00am-8.00pm
Need help outside hours?
Call (07) 3139 5321, and we will be able to help you.
Refer a patient
GP and specialist referrals are coordinated through GP Rapid Access Consultant Expertise (GRACE)
GRACE phone: (07) 3139 6896