The Physiotherapy Department provides assessment and treatment for people affected by injury, illness or disability using movement and exercise, manual therapy, education and advice.
Our physiotherapists provide a variety of specialised services to patients staying in hospital. We also have outpatient services including:
- pulmonary rehabilitation (better breathing program)
- heart failure rehabilitation
- vestibular rehabilitation
- aged and neurological rehabilitation (Rehabilitation Day Therapy Unit)
- management of musculoskeletal disorders
- continence management
- lymphoedema and cancer care
- respiratory disease management.
How to access this service
GP or medical practitioner referral
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital. If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
You can also access this service when you are staying in hospital or if you have been referred by a hospital clinician. Patients attending the Better Breathing Program will require a referral from their treating specialist.
How to cancel or change your appointment
Please call the Physiotherapy Department on (07) 3139 4443 during business hours to cancel or change your appointment with as much notice as possible. Rehabilitation Day Therapy Unit and Vestibular patients please contact (07) 3139 4798.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
What to wear
- Wear comfortable and suitable clothes as the physiotherapist may carry out a physical examination. You may wish to bring a pair of shorts and a singlet.
- If you are attending an exercise class, please make sure to wear appropriate clothing and well fitting closed-in shoes to exercise in. You should also bring your own water bottle for these sessions.
- If you have special needs please contact the Physiotherapy Department before your appointment.
Specialist Outpatients/Allied Health Services
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4443
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the referral guideline. GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938.
The Physiotherapy Department provides tertiary services to specialty areas such as:
- aged, neurological, vestibular and balance rehabilitation
- advanced respiratory services (pulmonary hypertension and neuromuscular disease)
- advanced heart failure and mechanical assist devices
- cancer care
- cardiothoracic and general surgery
- cardiothoracic transplantation
- continence and pelvic health
- thoracic medicine
- cystic fibrosis unit (adult)
- intensive care
- emergency department (adult and paediatric)
- internal medicine
- mental health
- palliative care
- early and rapid assessment units.