Research excellence on show at awards
Leading infectious disease specialist Professor David Paterson is Metro North’s Researcher of the Year 2020.
Professor Paterson, one of Australia’s most outstanding translation-oriented researchers and most cited infectious diseases physician, received the award at the annual Metro North Research Excellence Awards.
Our annual Metro North Research Excellence Awards are a chance to recognise and reward outstanding achievement in research across all clinical specialties and professions.
High calibre research that is improving healthcare outcomes for patients happens every day across our health service. Metro North is proud to foster a culture of incredible research and encourages staff to take on ground-breaking projects wherever possible.
Nursing and midwifery researcher Dr Nicole Marsh was named this year’s Rising Star.
Over the last 10 years, Dr Marsh has made an extraordinary contribution to nursing and midwifery research at Metro North and throughout her career, has continued to support and mentor a variety of nursing, midwifery and interdisciplinary researchers, and has achieved remarkable outcomes.
The Metro North Research Excellence Awards celebrated 21 finalists across seven categories.
Metro North’s other winning researchers:
- Research Support Award, Associate Professor Karen Whitfield
- Discovery and Innovation Research Award, The Silicosis Research Program, TPCH
- Clinical Research Award, Practical Implementation Of advaNcEd EchocardiogRaphy (PIONEER) Research Group, Echocardiography Laboratory
- Complex Health Challenges Research, Allied Health Research Collaborative
- Health Services and Implementation Research Award, Partners in Prevention: Understanding and enhancing first responses to suicide crisis situations
The Chief Executive Award was presented to Dr Susan de Jersey for her maternity and antenatal research.
Professor Paul Fulbrook received the inaugural Professor Joan Webster Nursing and Midwifery Award which was presented for for the first time during the International Year of the Nurse and Midwife.
The awards were sponsored by QSuper, The Common Good, and RBWH Foundation.
Read more about the winners and highly commended researchers.