Gastroenterology & Endoscopy Services
The Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Service (STARS) Gastroenterology and Endoscopy (GE) Service offers timely access to elective, low complexity GE services.
STARS Gastroenterology and Endoscopy Service provides gastroenterology outpatients services, nurse-led colon consent clinic, and endoscopy procedures (including gastroscopy and colonoscopy).
As a digital hospital, STARS offers telehealth for outpatient consultations where appropriate. We also communicate via SMS to deliver fast and efficient information to our patients. This allows patients to respond and communicate to hospital administration staff about appointments and bookings (excluding clinical enquiries).
Before your procedure
Preparation will be required for your procedure. This will be communicated via a consultant appointment through outpatients or one of our colon consent nurses will contact you prior to your procedure to advise your preparation instructions. These will then be sent via mail or SMS containing a link directly to the instructions you will be required to follow.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Frequently asked questions
Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Services (STARS) Hospital is a speciality-built facility providing new and enhanced clinical care for South East Queensland in Metro North Health.
Patients are referred to the facility within Metro Health North that will be able to treat them in clinical timeframes, assigning the most appropriate facility for your care to be completed. Some patients will be transferred from an existing Metro North Health facility for them to receive their treatment/procedure sooner.
STARS is located at 296 Herston Road Herston QLD 4029.
STARS is a public hospital and treatment is covered by Medicare for all Medicare eligible (have a current Medicare Card) patient. Treatment at STARS for non-Medicare eligible patients could have costs involved. Our team will communicate indicative costs prior to your treatment.