The perinatal period is a time of great change in a women’s life. Adjusting to pregnancy and parenthood can bring both joy and stress to families. It is not uncommon to feel scared and overwhelmed: focusing on all aspects of your physical, social, emotional and mental health is essential for your overall wellbeing.
Who are we?
We are a non-acute nurse led service that supports emotional health and wellbeing of women, their partners and families during the perinatal period, conception to a year after the birth of a baby.
Consumers who are in crisis are referred to the acute care service for immediate mental health support. MH call 1300 642 255 (24 hour service)
- We have antenatal clinics at:
- Royal Womens and Brisbane Hospital
- Redcliffe Hospital
- Caboolture Hospital
- Nundah Community Health Centre.
- Postnatal appointment are offered at the Nundah Community Health Centre and other community locations by arrangement
- Telehealth is also available for all antenatal or postnatal appointments
- Appointment based, specialist perinatal mental health assessment and treatment
- Referral recommendations to appropriate psychological and/or community services
- Short term support
- Telephone consultation support for GP around medication use in pregnancy and or breast feeding via Nurse Practitioner or Perinatal Consultant Psychiatrist
- Pre conception advice for women who are currently taking medications for their mental health under Medicare 291
How to access this service
Consumers living or birthing in the Metro North area can access this service
There are no walk in appointments available
Monday – Friday 08.00am to 4.30pm
Intake line: 07 3146 2525
Email: (preferred option) Perinatal-Mental-Health@health.qld.gov.au
Fax: 07 3146 2314
For self referrals; at a minimum we need the following
- Full Medicare name
- Date of birth
- Phone Number
- Any other details you feel are relevant