Perinatal Mental Health
Who are we?
We are a nurse led community service that supports emotional health and wellbeing of individuals and their families during the perinatal period, from conception to a year after the birth of a baby.
What is perinatal wellbeing?
The perinatal period is a time of great change within individual and family life. Adjusting to pregnancy and parenthood can bring experiences of both joy and stress. It is not uncommon to feel scared and overwhelmed at some point. Focussing on all aspects of physical, social, emotional, and mental health is essential for maintaining overall wellbeing. Getting support early is key for you, your infant and your family.
What do we offer?
- Pre-conception medication advice clinic – treatment options
- Specialist perinatal mental health assessment, liaison and education – during the antenatal and postnatal period
- Referral to Psychiatry or Nurse Practitioner clinic to review medication in the perinatal period
- Telephone consultation to support GP around medication use in pregnancy and breastfeeding
- Works with you, your family, GP and other services to ensure you have support
Who can use our service?
- Consumers 18 years or older
- Antenatal consumers birthing at a hospital in Metro North
- Postnatal consumers living in Metro North (with an infant under 12 months in their care)
- Partners of perinatal consumers as above
Have you considered if?
- Your baby is sleeping but you can’t?
- You avoid going out or have withdrawn from friends/family?
- You worry constantly about harm coming to your baby through everyday activities?
- You or others notice that you are more irritable and/or frustrated/angry?
- You think about your birth and get sad/distressed?
- You have stopped looking forward to things or enjoying activities that you used to?
- That you can’t put your baby down, or let others help you, or that you need to check the baby more than what is needed?
- You stopped medication before or in early pregnancy and have noticed your mood or anxiety symptoms have got worse?
- You wake up with dread or anxiety?
- You are unable to relax despite being exhausted?
- You are overwhelmed by your usual day to day activities or routine?
- Your pregnancy/body changes have triggered you?
- Antenatal and Postnatal appointments are offered at the Nundah Community Health Centre and other community locations by arrangement
- Telehealth is available for all antenatal or postnatal appointments
- No walk in appointments are available
- No inpatient appointments are available
How to access this service
Consumers living or birthing in the Metro North area can access this service.
Monday – Friday 08.30am to 4.00pm (excluding public holidays)Perinatal-Mental-Health@health.qld.gov.auIntake line: 07 3146 2525 Email: (preferred option for health care professional referrals)
Fax: 07 3146 2314
For self referrals; at a minimum we need the following
- Full Medicare name
- Date of birth
- Phone Number
- Any other details you feel are relevant
Perinatal Wellbeing Team
Metro North Health
Location: 10 Nellie St, Nundah
Phone: 07 3146 2525
Fax: 07 3146 2314
Open: 8.00am-4.30pm Monday-Friday
Please note, there are no walk-in appointments.
1300 MHCALL (1300 64 2255)
Your first point of contact for Metro North Mental Health, providing support, information and referral.
For persons under the age of 18, view The Child and Youth Mental Health Service