Cognitive Impairment and Dementia
Emergency department referrals
All urgent cases must be discussed with the on call Surgical Registrar to obtain appropriate prioritisation and treatment. Contact through:
Urgent cases accepted via phone must be accompanied with a written referral and a copy faxed immediately to the Central Patient Intake Unit: 1300 364 952.
If any of the following are present or suspected arrange immediate transfer to the emergency department (via ambulance if necessary) or seek emergent medical advice if in a remote region.
- Very rapid onset of cognitive +/- other neurological symptoms
- Suspected delirium deemed unsafe to manage in the community by the treating medical practitioner
- Imminent safety risk to self or others
Out of scope services
The following are not routinely provided in a public Cognitive Impairment and Dementia service.
- Outpatient follow-up of adults for acquired brain injury or neuro developmental disorders i.e., except whether there is a new onset of memory/cognitive decline
- Presentations that would be more appropriately assessed and managed by specialist mental health service e.g. where a primary psychiatric diagnosis (e.g. major depression, generalised anxiety disorder, schizophrenia) is the most likely cause of the patient’s presenting symptoms
- Assessments of financial and testamentary capacity
- Formal occupational therapy driving assessments
- Post Diagnosis Counsellor ** (consider referral to Dementia Support Australia for support)
- Genetic testing/counselling Genetic Health Queensland or Neurology Genetics
- Request for ACAT assessment (My Aged Care) Australian Government Department of Health and Aged Care
** Ideally, in future these services would be included as part of a comprehensive Ax and Mx team.
Hotline: 1300 364 938
Medical Objects ID: MQ40290004P
HealthLink EDI: qldmnhhs
Metro North Central Patient Intake
Aspley Community Centre
776 Zillmere Road
ASPLEY QLD 4034
Access to Health Pathways is free for clinicians in Metro North Brisbane.
For login details email:
Login to Brisbane North Health Pathways: