Our speech pathologists assess and treat people with communication and swallowing problems. Our speech pathologists work in both rehabilitation and surgical services.
We offer a variety of specialised services for adults with a wide range of communication and swallowing difficulties. These include:
- Inpatient services sincluding 6 day speech pathology service for dysphagia management.
- Outpatient services including specialist management of rehabilitation patients.
- Specialist instrumental assessment clinics including Videofluoroscopic Swallow Studies (VFSS) and Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES).
- Specialist telehealth outpatient services.
- Working in coordination with the Queensland Aphasia Research Centre (QARC) to provide rehabilitation for patients with aphasia.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: STARS, 296 Herston Road, Herston
Phone: (07) 3647 7111
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.