Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD)
Congenital heart disease/defect is an abnormality in the heart structure from birth.
The Adult Congenital Heart Disease (ACHD) Service is a Queensland state-wide service which aims to specifically improve the care, treatment and management of adults with congenital heart disease.
We provide ongoing care and management for adults as they transition from paediatric services and as needed throughout their life. Our service supports you and your family through your planned and coordinated transfer from paediatric cardiac services to adult congenital cardiac service. Our service connects you to various specialist services at the hospital to provide the best possible care throughout your life. We provide
- specialist outpatient follow-up of adults with congenital heart disease
- transition from paediatric cardiac clinics to adult congenital heart clinics
- inpatient services as required
- advice and education to practitioners dealing with ACHD patients
- liaison service with specialist services for the varied issues that may arise.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Heart and Lung Clinic
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hopsital
Phone: (07) 3139 6299 (Administrative officer)
(07) 3139 5581 (Clinical Nurse Consultant)
Need help outside hours?
To contact the ACHD service, call (07) 3139 5581 and leave a voice mail message with your name and phone number
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient an outpatient clinic, view the Cardiology referral guideline.
Referral hotline: 1300 364 938