Our General Surgery Service provides surgical procedures and clinics for elective and emergency general surgery patients. We see people who require surgical services associated with:
- upper parts of the stomach and intestines (upper gastrointestinal)
- gastric cancer
- oesophageal stricture
- colorectal and small intestines (lower gastrointestinal)
- anal conditions (tumours, severe haemorrhoids)
- colon/caecal/rectal cancer
- pancreas, liver, gallbladder and bile duct (hepatopancreatobiliary)
- gall bladder disease and cholelithiasis
- pepatic tumours
- pancreatitis/pancreatic tumours
- skin pathology
- abscess/temporal artery biopsy
- vascular access for chemotherapy
- breast and endocrine
- adrenal tumours
- benign/malignant breast conditions
- thyroid/parathyroid tumours.
We offer a range of elective and emergency services including:
- laparoscopic surgery (minimally invasive surgery)
- emergency management of acute abdominal conditions.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Surgical Services Office
Location: Level 2, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 6391
Fax: (07) 3139 6103
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the General Surgery referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938