Nutrition and Dietetics
(food, diet and nutrition support)
We help you optimise your diet during your hospital stay and after you leave.
We can assess your nutritional problems and support you in making diet and lifestyle changes. Our dietitians work with other health professionals involved in your care to make sure your eating plan matches your healthcare needs.
The Nutrition and Dietetics Department provides a range of services including:
- nutrition assessment, diagnosis and dietary intervention
- monitoring and referral to the community for follow-up
- counselling and education to patients
- education programs for hospital staff and community groups
- support and advice to health professionals in regional areas.
Common dietary interventions provided in hospital include:
- high protein diets to aid healing
- high energy diets to maintain or build body weight
- nutrition supplements or tube feeding for patients who are not able to meet their nutritional requirements through food alone
- a range of diets suitable for people with diabetes, heart disease and altered kidney or gut function
- food allergies/intolerances.
We work with the Food Service Department to cater for the special dietary, religious and cultural requirements of our patients. Our dietitians also conduct regular audits to ensure the delivery of a high quality meal service.
If you have any concerns regarding your meals during your stay, please feel welcome to contact us on (07) 3139 1174. Find out more about meal times when in hospital.
How to access this service
No external referrals are accepted for this service. You can only access this service when you are staying in hospital or if you have been referred by a hospital clinician. We also accept referrals for patients who have been referred from other hospitals within Metro North Hospital and Health Service.
Patients requiring individual weight loss advice should seek weight loss services in the community. You can contact:
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Nutrition and Dietetics Department
Location: Endoscopy Building, Building 4, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4443
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.