Aged Care Assessment Team (ACAT)
We assess the medical, physical, cultural, psychological and social care needs of frail older persons to help them access a range of Australian Government-subsidised aged care services.
- Provide advice about eligibility for services, either community-based or in residential care facilities.
- Link aged care services, community and health care services.
When you are assessed by ACAT you could receive guidance and approval for the following services:
- a home care package (help at home)
- respite (short term) care in a residential age care facility
- residential (permanent) care in a residential age care facility
- transition care (short term, rehabilitation-focused care after a hospital stay)
- short-term restorative care (short term, rehabilitation-focused care for people at home).
There may be a waiting list for some of these services.
How to access this service
To access this service, you must be:
- over 65
- Indigenous and over 50
- unable to manage at home without assistance.
You can refer yourself to ACAT or someone can refer on your behalf including:
- a family member
- hospital staff
- care providers.
Phone: 1800 200 422
Open: Monday-Friday, 8.00am-4.30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient visit the My Aged Care Gateway
Referral enquiries: 1800 200 422