Heart Support Service
We assess, treat, educate and support patients living with heart failure. We will work with you to understand the condition and develop a plan for managing symptoms at home.
Our team of health professionals consists of nurses, a pharmacist and physiotherapist who work closely with your medical specialists and general practitioner.
To ensure the smooth, timely and safe transfer of your healthcare needs, we will work with your GP, community health and residential care provider.
- inpatient assessment and education on heart failure
- post-discharge telephone follow up
- home visit assessments and review
- Heart Failure Multidisciplinary Outpatient Clinics (for general symptom review, education and medication advice and support)
- medication titration support
- outpatient exercise classes
- individualised home exercise plans.
How to access this service
GP or medical practitioner referral
You can also access this service with a referral letter from your GP or medical practitioner. Your doctor will need to send your referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
Any patient admitted to our hospital or seen in the Specialist Outpatient Department at the hospital can access the Heart Support Service.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Level 3, Dr James Mayne Building
Phone: (07) 3646 6465
Fax: (07) 3646 0272
Open: Monday-Friday 7.30am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
For GP and specialist referrals, please contact the Heart Support Service directly.
Please refer to the Heart Failure referral guideline