Speech Pathologists assess and treat people with communication and swallowing problems.
We offer a variety of specialised services for adults with a wide range of communication and swallowing difficulties (i.e., dysphagia). These include:
- Inpatient services including a 7 day speech pathology service for dysphagia and tracheostomy management
- Outpatient services including specialist management of Cancer Care and rehabilitation patients
- Specialist instrumental assessment clinics including Videofluoroscopic Swallow Studies (VFSS) and Fibreoptic Endoscopic Evaluation of Swallowing (FEES)
- Specialist telehealth outpatient services for head and neck cancer patients.
How to access this service
The Speech Pathology Department accepts referrals from internal RBWH medical specialists and from external medical practitioners/ GPs for access to VFSS and ENT and Speech Pathology Multidisciplinary Diagnostic voice clinics.
We also accept referrals from other speech pathology services when specialist care is needed.
What to bring
Each time you visit us
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you want to use it)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
For an outpatient or clinic appointment
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Level 2, Dr James Mayne Building
Phone: (07) 3646 8026
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.