Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Health
Our team assists you and your family with your journey to, during and after hospital.
When you attend any hospital make sure that you ask the staff to contact the Indigenous Hospital Liaison Officer (IHLO) or Indigenous Patient Journey (IPJ) Officer, to come and assist you.
Patients have access to:
- Indigenous Hospital Liaison Officer (IHLO)
Assist patients and their families, who reside in South East Queensland.
- Indigenous Patient Journey Service (IPJ)
Assist patient and their families who are travelling from rural, remote and regional communities.
We support you and your family by providing:
- Bedside visits to explain the hospital system
- Support and advocate your needs when speaking to hospital staff about important matters
- Provide language translation services
- Ensure you are aware of the different types of services available to you at the hospital
- Help you stay up to date with your treatments to achieve long term best health outcomes
- Transportation support (if you are eligible)
How to access this service
Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people can get support by contacting our team. Service providers can also refer a person using the contact details below.
Indigenous Hospital Liaison Service
Located: Ground floor (Walkway leading to Coronary Care Unit) The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 5165
Team Leader phone: 0439 082 908
Open: Monday-Friday, 8.00am-4.30pm
Indigenous Patient Journey Service
Located: Demountable Building 23 (Next to TPCH Pool)
Phone: (07) 3139 6429
Mobile: 0429 897 982
Open: Monday and Friday 8.00am – 8.30pm, Tuesday-Thursday 8.00am-4.30pm and Saturday-Sunday 10.00am-6.30pm
Mobile: 0409 583 967
Community care (acute and primary care)
Central Referral Phone: 1300 658 252
Central Referral Fax: 3360 4822 Brisbane North
General Enquiries Phone: (07) 3492 1804
Hospital Liaison Service
Location: Ground floor (Walkway leading to Coronary Care Unit) The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 5165 or 0439 082 908
Patient Journey Service
Location: Demountable Building 23 (Next to TPCH Pool)
Phone: (07) 3139 6429 or 0429 897 982
Need help outside hours?
After hours phone: 0409 583 967