(bones and joints)
We provide surgical and non-surgical treatment for conditions relating to the musculoskeletal system (bones, joints and ligaments) in adults.
We specialise in the following surgical procedures:
- hip and knee replacement (primary and revision)
- shoulder, knee, foot and ankle surgery
- surgery and perioperative care for fractured neck of femur.
Our services include:
- 42 bed orthopaedic ward
- allied health services including physiotherapy, occupational therapy, speech therapy, dietetics and social work
- orthogeriatric services
- orthopaedic elective surgery
- fractured neck of femur service.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Location: Lower ground floor, Administration Building. The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4412
Fax: (07) 3139 4250
Open: Monday-Friday 7.30am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Orthopaedic Surgery referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938