Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
(face, mouth and jaw)
We treat and care for people with complex facial and mouth injuries and disorders. We help treat our patients using the most advanced technology such as computerised surgical planning and 3D printing.
Our Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery department provide a range of services including:
- facial and teeth trauma surgery
- surgical treatment of mouth, teeth and face related deformities and conditions
- surgical treatment of head and neck cancers
How to access this service
You need a referral letter from your GP, specialist, dentist or orthodontist to access this service. Your doctor will need to send your referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Maxillo Facial Outpatient Clinic
Location: Level 8, Ned Hanlon Building
Phone: (07) 3646 6810
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Oral and Maxillofacial referral guidelines
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938
We provide a tertiary referral service for the Metro North region and additional specialised services to other regions as needed. We cover the full scope of oral and maxillofacial surgery with sub specialists in head and neck oncology, reconstructive microsurgery, facial trauma, deformity and temporomandibular disorders. Our specialised surgical services include:
- maxillofacial trauma surgery
- benign and malignant conditions of the oral cavity and adjoining regions
- head and neck microvascular reconstructive surgery
- temporo-mandibular joint surgery
- dentoalveolar surgery (impacted teeth, bony cysts etc)
- facial infections
- facial pain syndromes
- orthognathic surgery
- bony implants
- salivary glands pathology
- oral medicine