Palliative and Supportive Care
Our Specialist Palliative and Supportive Care Service aims to improve the quality of life for patients with a non curable or life-limiting illness. We aim to reduce suffering through early identification, assessment and treatment of physical symptoms including pain. We provide support that ensures the patient and their family’s psychological, spiritual, social and cultural needs are met.
Our dedicated team of medical, nursing and administration staff work closely with your healthcare team to provide you the best individualised care. Our aim is to make sure your goals of care are understood and respected. We offer:
- specialist consultation/liaison service
- outpatient clinic
- inpatient pain and symptom assessment, management and advice
- inpatient psychosocial and spiritual support and appropriate referral
- support for advance care planning
- liaison and support to GPs and domiciliary nurses in the community
- referral to local palliative care services including inpatient units and community services
- education programs.
How to access this service
The Palliative and Supportive Care Service is a consultation liaison service with a limited outpatient service. This service accepts internal referrals from treating teams. GPs may contact the service directly if their patient is having treatment at RBWH.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Location: Level 8, Ned Hanlon Building
Phone: (07) 3646 1438
Fax: (07) 3646 6137
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.30pm
Clinical Nurse Service:: Saturday-Sunday 8.00am-4.30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Palliative Care referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938