(joint, muscle and soft tissue diseases)
Our service is now provide at the Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Service (STARS) building at 296 Herston Rd, Herston.
We care for patients who have disorders affecting their joints, muscles, bones and ligaments. Our Rheumatology Department is the largest on Brisbane’s northside, providing services to the Wide Bay region and central Queensland.
We provide a range of diagnostic and treatment services to people suffering severe and chronic musculoskeletal disease. These include:
- medicine based treatments for many types of arthritis as well as local corticosteroid injections
- combined renal-rheumatology clinic for patients with kidney problems related to lupus and vasculitis
- combined clinic with ophthalmology for patients with autoimmune eye conditions
- advice to GPs on arthritis conditions.
Please note we do not perform surgical procedures.
How to access this service
GP or medical practitioner referral
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
Wait times will vary at our outpatient clinics with urgent appointments seen as soon as possible.
We also accept inpatient referrals (urgent only) from the hospital.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- A smart phone, tablet or laptop, connecting earphones and chargers so you can connect to the free MetroNorth-PatientWiFi and access entertainment. Televisions may not be available for use.
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Specialist Outpatient Services
Location: Level 3, Surgical, Treatment and Rehabilitation Service (STARS), 296 Herston Road, Herston
Phone: (07) 3497 3588
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-5.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Rheumatology referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938