Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre
We provide a lifetime of support to adults with cystic fibrosis. We are internationally recognised for our excellence in cystic fibrosis treatment.
The centre currently cares for about 300 patients from Queensland, northern New South Wales and the Northern Territory.
What is cystic fibrosis?
Cystic fibrosis is a life-threatening chronic genetic disease predominantly affecting the lungs and digestive system.
We offer specialist diagnostic, advanced treatment and ongoing management of cystic fibrosis including:
- outpatient clinics
- pre and post-surgical care
- psychosocial support
- outreach clinics in north and far north Queensland (Mackay, Townsville and Cairns)
- transition adolescent clinics at Lady Cilento Children’s Hospital
- Ambulatory Care Centre to review patients who are critically unwell.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital. If you are moving hospitals, your GP will need to send copies of the most recent specialist letters with your referral.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre (Building 6)
Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre
Location: Jacaranda Drive, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4770
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Cystic fibrosis referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938