Queensland Lung Transplant Service
The Queensland Lung Transplant Service (QLTS) provides a full range of thoracic transplant options. Last year, we celebrated 20 years of transforming the lives of Australians. Our transplant team has performed almost 360 lung or heart-lung transplants since 1996. The QLTS is one of only a few centres in Australasia performing triple organ transplants.
We are proud to offer a lifetime of care and support to transplant patients in Queensland.
QLTS is a statewide service performing single lung, double lung, heart-lung and heart-lung-liver transplantations. We care for people with a range of severe, complex lung diseases including:
- interstitial lung disease
- rare or orphan lung diseases
- management of end stage lung failure
- pulmonary hypertension
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
Our highly experienced transplant team provide support and care to patients before and after their operation. The team includes surgeons, physicians, anaesthetists, transplant nurses, physiotherapists, occupational therapists, social workers and dietitians.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
- A dressing gown or cardigan, sleepwear or comfortable day clothes
- Slippers and shoes (low heel, closed-in, non-slip, adjustable and firm fitting around the foot)
- Your toiletries and personal items
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney if you have one
- Something to read or do during your stay
- Medical devices required for your care (e.g. CPAP machine)
- Do not bring large amounts of cash or valuables such as jewellery, watches or other items of value to you
Department of Thoracic Medicine
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4393
Fax: (07) 3139 5696
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.00pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Thoracic Surgery referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline:
1300 364 938
QLTS is the referral centre for thoracic organ transplantations in Queensland. We use the latest technologies in organ procurement and transport (ex-Vivo lung perfusion) to optimise the utilisation of donor organs.
We are specialists in the following:
- lung volume reduction surgery
- endobronchial valves for bronchopleural fistula
- complex interventional bronchoscopy procedures including stent insertion, balloon dilatation, argon plasma coagulation and endobronchial valves
- pulmonary hypertension – therapeutic interventions including intravenous prostacyclin, balloon pulmonary angioplasty and pulmonary endarterectomy for chronic thromboembolic disease
- interstitial lung disease diagnosis and management including multidisciplinary review and anti-fibrotic therapy
- Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenation physician support and referrals to Intensive Care.
We also provide access to clinical trials in a variety of areas including:
- stem cell biologic therapy
- interstitial lung disease diagnosis
- pulmonary hypertension
- chronic obstructive pulmonary disease.