We specialise in care and treatment for a wide range of conditions and diseases related to the blood. This includes:
- anaemia and other abnormal blood counts
- most bleeding and clotting disorders including deep vein thrombosis
- most cancers related to the blood including lymphomas (cancer of the lymph nodes), myeloma (cancer of plasma cells), myelodysplastic syndromes (bone marrow conditions) and leukaemia.
- myeloproliferative disorders (bone marrow condition).
- comprehensive diagnosis (including bone marrow biopsy)
- management of patients staying at the hospital
- treatment including chemotherapy, venesection, iron infusion, blood transfusion and intravenous immunoglobulin therapy
- consultative service across different specialities at the hospital
- outpatient clinics
- plasma exchange.
How to access this service
To access this service, your GP or medical practitioner will need to send a referral letter to the hospital.
If there is a waiting list, you will receive a confirmation letter and be advised on what to do next. If there is no waiting list, you will receive an appointment booking letter or we will contact you to arrange a suitable time for your appointment.
After your hospital appointment
Your doctor may advise that you require surgery. If this is the case you will be placed on a surgical waiting list and may need to attend the Pre-admission Clinic before your surgery.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
- An adult carer to support you and take you home
- Copy of Advanced Healthcare Directive or Enduring Power of Attorney (if you have one)
- A jacket or cardigan in case you get cold
Haematology Outpatients Clinic
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4207
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.
Refer a patient
To refer a patient to this service, view the Haematology referral guideline.
GP and Specialist Referral Hotline: 1300 364 938