Our occupational therapists work with you to optimise function in daily activities and enhance quality of life. Our aim is to maximise your independence and safety.
We aim to promote your health, wellbeing and functional independence through:
- activities of daily living retraining and equipment prescription
- cognitive and perceptual retraining/compensation
- pressure injury prevention and management
- oedema (swelling) management strategies including compression bandaging and prescription of garments
- home environment assessment and recommendations
- stress management and relaxation strategies
- facilitation of upper limb function through gross and fine motor re-education and retraining, strength building and compensation
- upper limb sensory retraining
- splint prescription and fabrication
- management of hypertonicity
- falls prevention education and management.
We offer hand therapy to patients under the care of a hospital medical officer. Post-surgical care is provided in addition to management of diagnoses such as:
- carpal tunnel syndrome
- radial nerve palsy
- fractures and dislocations
- post-surgical care
- De Quervain’s tenosynovitis
- Dupuytren’s contracture
- mallet finger.
Paediatric Outpatient Services
We provide occupational therapy services to children up to the age of 16 years. Services include assessment and short term intervention for:
- behavioural toileting (constipation and urinary incontinence)
- developmental, motor and sensory concerns impacting upon childhood occupations such as self-care, play, school, and social and leisure activity
- fractures and dislocations.
Occupational therapy assessment is also provided within a team of health professionals to support the assessment and diagnosis of children who come to hospital with complex emotional and behavioural issues in conjunction with a medical concern. Issues requiring ongoing or long-term support will be referred to community-based services. These services are only available to children who have been referred by a hospital paediatrician.
Leisure Therapy Services
Leisure Therapy aims to enhance your leisure pursuits and independence in regards to your leisure lifestyle. Services include:
- assessment and re-training of leisure functional skills
- assessment and re-training of community integration and community participation skills (community access and transport re-training)
- education on lifestyle changes, leisure barriers, leisure supports and leisure planning
- leisure counselling
- multidisciplinary groups.
Hand and Upper Limb Clinic
Our Occupational therapists provide inpatient and outpatient services to help restore optimal function of your upper limb.
We have a range of resources to help your recovery.
How to access this service
Occupational Therapy services are available if you are a patient in one of the hospital wards, if you are attending the Rehabilitation Day Therapy Unit or if you have been referred by a hospital clinician. Outpatient services are provided for hand therapy for patients under the care of a hospital medical officer. Children’s services are available based on referrals made by paediatricians at the hospital.
What to bring
- Your Medicare card
- Private health insurance card (if you have one)
- Health Care Card and/or concession card (if you have one)
- Current medications (prescription, over the counter and herbal medicine)
- Relevant x-rays, scans or any other test results or reports
- Glasses, hearing aids and mobility aids
- Your appointment letter
- Any special items listed on your letter
- WorkCover claim number (if relevant)
- Snacks, a drink or money to buy refreshments
- Something to read or do while you wait
Specialist Outpatients/Allied Health Services
Location: Ground floor, Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4443
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.00pm
Location: Ground floor (opposite lift D), Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 6612
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.