Social workers assist you, your family, carers and support people with social, emotional and practical issues that may arise along your healthcare journey.
Social workers provide a range of specialised services including:
- Providing supportive counselling by listening to you about the things that matter most and helping you manage and cope with changes in health and lifestyle.
- Providing information that will assist you to make decisions affecting your health and wellbeing. This may include arranging family meetings with your medical team or connecting you to the appropriate team member.
- Assisting you with information on a range of lifestyle areas that may be affected by illness or hospital admission, such as living arrangements, carers’ needs, family relationships, legal issues, transport and finances.
- Information and assistance to access aged-care services such as home care support, respite care, or residential aged care.
- Providing information about advanced care planning including how to appoint an Enduring Power of Attorney, how to complete an Advanced Health Directive or Statement of Choices and how to go about making a will.
- Crisis counselling and support in relation to trauma, elder abuse, domestic and family violence and child protection.
- Grief and bereavement counselling and assistance to access these support services within the community.
- Linking you with support groups either within the hospital or the community to provide you with information, counselling or assistance relevant to your healthcare journey.
- Providing a central hub to allow access to all relevant services.
How to access this service
Social workers are available across multiple areas within The Prince Charles Hospital. You can request to see a social worker through your medical team, nursing, allied health staff and administration officers.
Specialist Outpatients/Allied Health Services
Location: Main Building, The Prince Charles Hospital
Phone: (07) 3139 4443
Fax: (07) 3139 6147
Open: Monday-Friday 8.00am-4.30pm
Need help outside hours?
For non-urgent medical issues call 13 HEALTH (13 43 25 84) or visit your GP.
In an emergency call 000.