Research is vital to improving healthcare outcomes. Our Metro North Research Excellence Awards recognise and reward outstanding achievement in research across all clinical specialties and professions.
The awards attracted 77 stellar submissions from all facilities showcasing a wide variety of research projects and excellent researchers. These contributions are vital to advancing healthcare and it was no easy task for the judges to select 27 finalists across six categories. There were also 13 candidates for Researcher of the Year, more than double the number of candidates last year.
Congratulations to the winners.
Rising Star Award
Research Support Award
- Professor Andre Van Zundert for enabling research through encouragement, mentorship and inspiration
- Jaimi Greenslade for her research support at the Royal Brisbane and Women’s Hospital’s Emergency and Trauma centre.
Discovery and Innovation Award
- Associate Professor Steven Lane: Targeting genetic drivers to improve outcomes for patients with leukaemia
Clinical Research Award
- Associate Professor Lata Vadlamudi and Associate Professor Jeffrey Craig: Towards precision-based treatment for idiopathic epilepsy.
Complex Health Challenges Award
- RBWH Nutrition and Dietetics team: Addressing the wicked problem of hospital malnutrition
- The Adult Cystic Fibrosis Centre: Cross infection in cystic fibrosis
Health Services and Implementation Research Award
- The SIMPLE Research Team: Developing a Systematized Interdisciplinary Malnutrition Program for implementation and Evaluation
- The Speech Pathology-led Telehealth Services research team.
Researcher of the Year
Chief Executive’s Award
This is the third year we have held the Metro North Research Excellence Awards. The 2017 Research Excellence Awards attracted 74 high calibre submissions across seven categories.