Metro North REDCap
Metro North is committed to enhancing sustainable research capacity through the provision of infrastructure and resources that support high quality research management. REDCap (Research Electronic Data Capture) is a secure web application for building and maintaining online surveys and databases. While REDCap can be used to collect and manage virtually any type of data, it is specifically designed to support research studies and operations.
What is REDCap?
REDCap is a server software platform used by institutions all over the world to manage and capture research data. The REDCap Consortium, a vast support network of collaborators, is composed of thousands of active institutional partners in over one hundred countries who utilize and support REDCap in various ways. When an institution joins the REDCap Consortium, they agree to the End User License Agreement Terms and Conditions and are provided a source code to install and configure the REDCap software according to the institutions technical requirements. You may have previously used REDCap before at another institution. Whilst it would have been the same software, it will be a different installation. Each institution is responsible for managing their own instance of REDCap, and will consequently have their own management and governance controls and standards. Metro North REDCap is hosted on a Metro North server, behind the Queensland Health firewall, and is managed in compliance with legislation applicable to the collection, management and storage of confidential health information, including the Hospital and Health Boards Act 2011 (Qld) the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld), regulatory guidelines and policy regarding research.
Why use REDCap?
REDCap offers a free, easy-to-use, and secure method of flexible yet robust data collection. All research and clinical data and metadata must be collected, managed, accessed, disclosed and disposed of in a manner that protects the rights, safety, and well-being of the research participants and the wider community, maintains data security and integrity, and is in accordance with all applicable legislative and regulatory requirements.
Using REDCap can help meet these data requirements. REDCap provides:
- A data collection system fully compliant with the Information Privacy Act 2009 (Qld), Hospital and Health Boards Act 2011 (Qld), Public Health Act 2005 (Qld) privacy and confidentiality requirements and Queensland Government Information security policies and standards.
- Online or offline project design: Online using the Online Designer or offline using a “data dictionary” template in Microsoft Excel that can be uploaded later into REDCap.
- Availability: Software is available at no cost for REDCap Consortium Partners (Metro North HHS is a consortium partner)
- Secure and web-based: Input data or build an online survey or database from anywhere in the world over a secure web connection with authentication and data logging.
- Fast and flexible: Conception to production-level database or survey in less than one day.
- Multi-site access: REDCap databases/surveys can be used by approved researchers from multiple sites and institutions
- User Access Rights & Data Access Groups: Metro North HHS and any consortium partner has complete autonomy and control to approve and add new users to any project.
- Fully customizable: Users are in total control of shaping the project database or survey.
- Audit trails: For tracking data manipulation and user activity.
- Data export controls and automated export procedures: For seamless data downloads to Excel, PDF, and common statistical packages (SPSS, SAS, Stata, R).
- Create and distribute anonymous or targeted online surveys
- A built-in project calendar and a scheduling module
- Advanced report builder with schedules or ad hoc reporting tools
- Advanced features such as branching logic, file uploading, and calculated fields.
- Regulatory compliance REDCap can be installed in a variety of environments for compliance with such standards as HIPAA, 21 CFR Part 11, FISMA (low, moderate, high), and international standards.
- Available in multiple languages Several language translations have already been compiled for REDCap (e.g. Chinese, French, German, Portuguese), and it is anticipated that other languages will be available in full versions of REDCap soon.
Data management practices WITHOUT REDCap
- Confidential information stored on drives, USB’s, the cloud, spreadsheets, databases and external servers
- Data is stored individually rather that within a central system
- No or limited opportunity for re-use or linkage because there is limited transparency of what is available
- Poor data collection, storage and management practices leading to limited data integrity and quality
- Sustainability – limited storage, retention and disposal schedules
- Data is stored on password protected files… but it is also emailed, saved, shared…..
Data management practices WITH REDCap
- Confidential information is stored in compliance with legislation, policy and regulatory frameworks
- Data is centrally stored/managed within one system creating transparency and oversight
- With the requisite approvals data can easily be re-used and linked
- High quality data collection and management practices leading to good data integrity and quality
- Data management plans, including retention and disposal schedules centrally managed
- Data access groups and data export controls can be used to manage data access and disclosure
Metro North REDCap System Administrator
For technical support please contact the Metro North REDCap System Administrator
Phone: 07 3647 2273
- Requests for user access
- Approval of project migration to production status
- Review of changes to projects in production status
- Reset of lost/expired passwords
- Backup and maintenance of site data
Advanced technical support
- Specialised or custom project build (fee for service)
- Data extraction/migration/API integration (fee for service)